(urth) Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Nov 17 16:17:04 PST 2011

On 11/17/2011 7:01 PM, entonio at gmail.com wrote:

>>> So your answer as to why is the Rajan wearing Pike's calotte is that
>>> it's of no significance, that everyone who enters that room puts it on?
>>
>> PM, António Marques wrote:
>> The reason he is there is because he knows he is supposed to be
>> there. And for all I know, it's a little Time-travel reminiscing. If
>> you had the ability to travel in Time whenever you slept, wouldn't
>> you be likely to revisit your old home and watch yourself playing as
>> a kid? If you saw a hat that played a role in a key turning point in
>> your life, are you saying you wouldn't put it on? There are any
>> number of reason why the Rajan would be in Pike's room and why he
>> would try on that fated callotte when he encountered it.  It's a
>> demand for justification of something that doesn't require
>> justification.
>
> That looks to me a lot like the kind of thing y'all accuse Gerry of
> doing - saying that something which is actually there when it needn't
> needn't a special explanation. Something tells me that if your
> confidence were absolute, you'd try to find a cool way in which the
> cap actually strenghtened your case (for all I know, it may even
> exist; in this whole episode I'm with those who think something
> special happens, and a purposeless ghost doesn't cut it, unless the
> whole thing is one of those tropes and we haven't identified the source).

I think it is supposed to tell us something about Pike, but I don't know
what.

I'd guess it also tells us to expect time travel in Silk's future, so it
doesn't appear to have been invented between novels. Putting the Rajan
from SS in LSS is a way of integrating them. It flags that Mucor is
projecting from the future.

I think it's also a bit of a joke, frankly. The falling hat is cute, but
it creates a little mystery in what is otherwise a sometimes somewhat
plodding the-rabbi-was-a-detective precedural. It's decoration of the
kind that authors like Wolfe salt their novels with to have fun. Not
everything can be deeply hidden mythical clues.