(urth) Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 10:21:12 PST 2011

On 11/16/2011 9:51 AM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
> ('Objective' doesn't mean uber-cool. It means anyone can apply the
> same method and get the same result.)
> ('Textual' doesn't mean superior. It means we'll be taken wherever
> applying the method to the text takes us, not the other way round.)

"Objectively" apply your ideas of "textual" criticism to Wolfe's story
"Seven American Nights". Use it to show how you can start without a
"theory" to fill in the blanks left by the text and  to reject false
cues in the text.

The problem with "objectivity" is that everyone with an opinion thinks
they have it. But In order to be truly objective, you have to have no
opinion yourself.