(urth) vanished people=hieros

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Nov 11 09:30:21 PST 2011

On 11/11/2011 11:33 AM, James Wynn wrote:

>> On 11/11/2011 8:13 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
>>> *From:* Lee Berman
>>> Sure, Orion rises in the east. But not at dawn, if it wants to be
>>> visible.
>>
>> David Stockhoff wrote:
>> Not at dawn.
>> BEFORE dawn.
>
> The thing is, if he has risen, he is not visible if he is still in the
> East. I really dislike the visual aesthetics here. I'll ask Mr.
> Khayyam what his intention was if I see him at the next convention.
> ;-)

You may be better off asking Fitzgerald, I think! The fact that it seems
to be entirely his invention renders the point almost moot. But I
finally pulled up Stellarium 9.1 to prove my point:

At temperate latitudes (Philadelphia through Kabul), in early July 2112
Orion will begin to rise with Venus and the sun, not after. From
mid-July to mid-August, Venus will precede both and Orion will have a
good hour or two of visibility before the sun vanishes them both. During
this period the sun moves away from Orion, granted. By September Orion
has the night to itself, is less close to the sun when the sun rises,
and Venus has moved on.

There is therefore a point in time at least where Venus rises, Orion
rises after it as though holding it up, is clearly visible, and then the
sun rises very near them, rendering them invisible. You would only need
a minute or two to watch this happen.

I certainly don't argue that even this version of the poem/stanza is
entirely literal. The Hunter is implicit in the night sky if you know he
comes, so there needs to be no exact arrangement of elements. Venus may
rise with Orion only rarely, for all I know. But it's not like the image
is impossible---not at all.