(urth) vanished people=Hieros

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 14:24:23 PST 2011

On 11/10/2011 4:07 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> And while Mamelta was a bit out of it during her time with Silk, she
> was fresh from Urth, at least in her own mind.  If the Whorl had
> gravity much less than Urth-standard, she'd surely have noticed.
> It's possible to argue around these things, but surely they make an
> initially unlikely hypothesis recede further in the direction of
> impossibility?

Actually, I would think the fact that she could stand at all after 300
years of immobility would (if anything) suggest that the gravity on the
Whorl was much lighter than Urth's. If one has decided to argue against
an explanation, a "failure-to-mention-something" will always be close at
hand. It is not the lowest level of literary criticism,  but it is below
the median. It's surely the least most boring.