(urth) vanished people=Hieros

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Thu Nov 10 14:07:53 PST 2011

From: James Wynn

On 11/10/2011 3:44 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> > But we’d *notice* a change. It’s not just our own weight – arrows
> > would fly differently (and there are hunters on Green). Objects would
> > fall differently. If you ever played ball games you couldn’t miss it.

> Sure. But after weeks of weightlessness it might not be the overriding
> attribute of the place. It's something you have to work out, but you
> might not discuss it in your diary that you are writing after your body
> has been destroyed, you've taken over the body of someone in spaceship
> in orbit, and spent sometime on a third planet. Are there other wildlife
> on Green other than the Neighbors and Inhumi. I don't recall any mention
> of them.
Horn landed on Green with a whole bunch of people from Blue.  As I said, somebody would have noticed.
And while Mamelta was a bit out of it during her time with Silk, she was fresh from Urth, at least in her own mind.  If the Whorl had gravity much less than Urth-standard, she’d surely have noticed.
It’s possible to argue around these things, but surely they make an initially unlikely hypothesis recede further in the direction of impossibility?
Creatures:
“The next day, and the next, I made my way back toward the City of the Inhumi.
It will seem vainglorious when I say that I lived by eating the creatures that
attacked me, yet it was so. Their flesh was foul, for they were predators and
carrion eaters; but I lived upon it and upon half-eaten fruits and nuts dropped
by the great green spiders.”

- Gerry Quinn

J.