(urth) (no subject)

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 14:45:20 PST 2011

My problem with all this is that Blue is colder than Urth is colder than Green - that city under the water is a MacGuffin, we are meant to look at it and try to find a way to map Urth onto it but there is just no way to do it and the mechanism is just not there to explain how they accidentally wind up on Urth when they mean to go to Green.  I firmly believed blue was Urth/Ushas until Gene corrected me.  I don't see Blue as Ushas.  It's the coldest of the three (two) worlds.  It's something else.

And I like literal truths to explain things in Wolfe; I feel that is how he utilizes symbols.  Thus my opinion Latro really IS Pleistorus, Weer really IS dead, Green really IS Urth, Silk really IS Typhon's son, Kypris really IS Mamelta, the rajan really IS Silk after OBW, etc etc etc.  I think that's how Wolfe operates when he creates his identity mysteries: that there is a real tacit solid non-symbolic solution that explains the metonymic resonances that permeate the text (bunch of tales about dead people and sneaky murderers set up in parallel? narrator is really dead and killed at least one person!)

We don't all have to agree though and I really do understand why some don't.