(urth) vanished people=Hieros

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 19:21:33 PST 2011

>Jeff Wilson:
>The movement is no more metaphorical or supersonic than that required to
>ascend a staircase to board a plane or a descend one to enter a subway.
>It seems very likely to me that the Corridors of Time are commonplace on
>Urth; some are bound to architecture that anyone can use, like the
>Botanic Gardens or Ash's house, while others are navigable by those few
>who can see them or at least envision them. In either case, a modest
>effort allows a modest rate of travel, while spanning creation on the
>scale of days or moments requires very powerful devices like The Ship or
>Inire's mirrors.

I think that is very well argued Jeff. I see no reason you should consider

the possibility that the Green Man is anything other than what he seems.

The whole idea of Father Inire appearing in numerous guises is essentially

a holistic one anyway. Like the old woman in the optical illusion you either

see it as a whole or don't see it at all. You can't get it through incrementally

adding small pieces of the picture with this sort of debating.

In the case of the Green Man, he shares with all the other possible Inire

appearances, including the 3 boatmen, Fechin, Dr. Talos and Hethor, a creepy and

less than honest nature. There are simply holes and weirdnesses in all their

stories that make them not quite right.  It isn't that he/they are "evil".  Even

Hethor isn't all that evil if you accept the fact of Severian's immortality.

But he ain't no angel either.