(urth) Hyacinth

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 12:09:43 PDT 2011

On 11/3/2011 12:09 PM, James Wynn wrote:
> 4) Hy has some pretty contemptuous things to say about her "father".
> This is a real toughy -- -- if one takes it at face value and assumes
> that this is Hy's constant and forever opinion of her father, then it
> is difficult to overcome. I suspect she is in intermittent
> communication with each other and this statement represents a recent
> falling out with him.

Incidentally, what she says of her father is that he was "a pig's arse".
If one sees The Long Sun/Short Sun as a single novel (as I do), this
can't help but to recall Pig and his relationship to the original Silk
(recognized but still not nailed down). The name and the term might be
coincidental. Still, "pig's arse" is not a typical insult. Usually it is
"horse's arse".  Leaving open the possibility that Hyacinth or Wolfe is
relaying something other than what was understood on the initial reading.

J.