(urth) Hyacinth

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 3 08:26:48 PDT 2011

--- On Wed, 11/2/11, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Immediately after I finished "The Book of the Long Sun" so
> many years ago, I posited that Hyacinth might be a male chem
> who had himself retrofitted to pass as a woman. I did not
> know at the time that Marc Aramini had posited only a few
> months earlier that Hyacinth might be male.

heh heh heh was that my fault?  sometimes I forget who said what when.  There is definitely something off about Hy, looking in her little ring and changing her appearance, but I agree, its not definitive by any means that she is male, its just an odd mythical association chain with her through the presence of all those boy toy mythological statues and Blood's homosexuality and the resonance with the mysterious gender bending elsewhere in the Soldier series.