(urth) Pike's ghost

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 11:03:40 PST 2011

On 11/29/2011 12:49 PM, Sergei SOLOVIEV wrote:
> I think that there are still some "minimum requirements" to the people
> who advance
> an extravagant new theory -
>
> - if they claim that the theory is supported by the text, it would be
> fair to do the
> work finding necessary quotations, and honestly present the context
> (not to make
> the opponent to browse the whole book to find out that the next
> sentence to the
> sentence just quoted is disproving the theory)
>
> - to be polite, and not to present disagreement as stupidity
>
> - not to try to intimidate the opponents presenting their hypotheses
> as common knowledge and consensus

It doesn't need to be a so-called extravagant theory for all these rules
to apply.
There are people with extravagant theories who have presented them in
detail many times in the past. It's probably not reasonable for anyone
to be required to back every statement with proof each time they make an
assertion.
If someone makes an assertion and you aren't clear on where it says
that, why should anyone but the person making the assertion be required
to search the books for the text. Have them quote the text verbatim and
include the chapter (page numbers are typically useless). That's hardly
an onerous burden.

_Arguing_ from the position that any interpretation in this text is mere
"common knowledge" or consensus is bad form. There is actually very
little in these books that everyone agrees on 100%. However, I don't
feel the need for everyone to constantly qualify everything with "I know
not everyone sees it that way". That is probably the one common thread
in all interpretations of Wolfe's novels.

As for being polite, I'd say it another way. Remember that we're talking
about literature here. Horn's fate does not rest on our conclusion. You
don't need to be overtly rude to be annoying. You don't need to call
people names to make people want to call you names.