(urth) Pike's ghost

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Nov 28 09:57:38 PST 2011

On 11/28/2011 12:02 PM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
> David Stockhoff wrote (28-11-2011 15:42):

>>> Either way, what is meant by 'recognition'? If it's that Silk doesn't
>>> recognise Typhon, there's no reason he should, he's never met him. If
>>> it's that Silk doesn't recognise himself, well, one more hint that he
>>> doesn't look like Pas (who probably looks like Typhon, and if he
>>> doesn't it's at best neutral data, not evidence for anything).
>>
>> There's no real reason, even if he is a clone, why Silk should look that
>>  much like a parody of a painting of Pas that probably was meant to
>> glorify him.
>
> There *is* a real reason. It may not be asbolute, but it certainly
> isn't absent.

If you think there is a real reason why "why Silk should look that  much
like a parody of a painting of Pas that probably was meant to glorify
him" but you don't know what it is, would you at least care to say why
you think this is true?

> However, the issue is whether Silk not finding Pas's likeness familiar is
> evidence for or against Silk being Typhon's clone: and the conclusion is
> that while it need not be against it, it certainly isn't for it.

I think it is completely neutral in both directions. But remember, the
evidence in question is not "Silk not finding Pas's likeness familiar"
but rather Silk not commenting on it (i.e., Horn not commenting, which
really means only that Silk didn't tell Horn).

Since Silk would hardly have commented on such a thing to anyone ("By
the way, Horn, I'm Pas," said Silk ... not!), it can't be evidence of
anything at all.

>> How do we even know Pas looks that much like Typhon?
>
> I'm not sure we do, but it would be logical.

Why? Where does this assumption come from?

>> Would a reborn/genetic Jesus recognize his official portrait?
>
> If his official portrait had been commissioned by the original Jesus, who
> had a fixation with his likeness? I think so.

Is there any room in your theory for basic propaganda? You mean the
"actual Jesus who would do such a thing" would want an exactly correct
portrait, nothing exaggerated?

I grant that it's probably not Typhon's pimply skin or weak chin that
gives him his charisma, but if you think such portraits are always
extremely accurate I've got a bridge to sell you.

Note also that he had himself shown with two heads. So much for the
theory that he just wanted his BLONDE face preserved forever, eh?

>> Any ideas on whether Silk's head (when shown to Silk as Pas by Khypris)
>> replaced Piaton's or Typhon's head? is Silk ridden or rider?
>
> Have none. The only certain part is that Pas's heads were Piaton and
> Typhon's, not two Typhon'ss (ELS 526-7).

Up until then, yes. But the only certain information about his depiction
including Silk is this:

The face lovelier than any mortal woman's dispersed like smoke.
In its place stood a bronze-limbed man with rippling muscles and
two heads.
     One was Silk's.

No mention of any distinction between heads whatsoever.