(urth) Pike's ghost

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 09:02:34 PST 2011

David Stockhoff wrote (28-11-2011 15:42):
> On 11/28/2011 9:13 AM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
>> Gerry Quinn wrote (28-11-2011 13:10):
>>> *From:* Lee Berman <mailto:severiansola at hotmail.com>

>>> Actually this is quite incorrect. Silk recognises the painting as a
>>> “crude mockery of Campion’s celebrated painting of Pas enthroned”.
>>> Campion’s painting was probably created at the time the Whorl was
>>> being fitted out (it shows bulldozers, referred to as taluses), and
>>> in the Whorl, which is unlikely to be as prone to viral images as our
>>> current society, would have needed some time to become famous. The
>>> obscene parody, then, was presumably created much later.
>>
>> Either way, what is meant by 'recognition'? If it's that Silk doesn't
>> recognise Typhon, there's no reason he should, he's never met him. If
>> it's that Silk doesn't recognise himself, well, one more hint that he
>> doesn't look like Pas (who probably looks like Typhon, and if he
>> doesn't it's at best neutral data, not evidence for anything).
>
> There's no real reason, even if he is a clone, why Silk should look that
>  much like a parody of a painting of Pas that probably was meant to
> glorify him.

There *is* a real reason. It may not be asbolute, but it certainly isn't absent.

However, the issue is whether Silk not finding Pas's likeness familiar is
evidence for or against Silk being Typhon's clone: and the conclusion is
that while it need not be against it, it certainly isn't for it.

> How do we even know Pas looks that much like Typhon?

I'm not sure we do, but it would be logical.

> Would a reborn/genetic Jesus recognize his official portrait?

If his official portrait had been commissioned by the original Jesus, who
had a fixation with his likeness? I think so.

> Any ideas on whether Silk's head (when shown to Silk as Pas by Khypris)
> replaced Piaton's or Typhon's head? is Silk ridden or rider?

Have none. The only certain part is that Pas's heads were Piaton and
Typhon's, not two Typhon'ss (ELS 526-7).