(urth) Pike's ghost

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 08:55:05 PST 2011

Roy,

> Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> As for the bird in Silk's bedroom, you postulated recently that
> Oreb had been possessed by Pas at the time he "died" before Silk could
> sacrifice him. You also recently noted that possessed humans can perform
> feats they would not otherwise be able to perform. Pas could have done that
> with Oreb, damaged wing and all, and the bird not remember the event. Not
> that I believe it, but I guess you can't argue with yourself, either.

I have no interest in arguing with myself but why would /you/ assert I
can't do that when you are arguing with yourself right here?? Roy says
"I don't believe that Pas possessed Oreb but I hereby propose that DID
possess Oreb and send him into Silk's room."

That's a solution? Why do we need to complicate things with a possession
at all? Why not have Oreb hop up the stairs into Silk's room and jump
down into the bushes? There has NEVER been a problem with getting Oreb
into Silk's room or out. The problem has always been why he (or Pas for
that matter) would go there in the first place and why he would continue
to lie about it after Silk told him he wouldn't be punished for it. This
is rank sophistry.

Here's  simpler solution for you.../Mint/ sneaked into Silk's residence,
grabbed Oreb and left him there. But /first/ she gave him a rophenol so
he wouldn't remember it. Why would she do that? Who the hell cares? At
least it avoids considering time-travel. After all, this is a Wolfe
novel set in Briah. I mean, how believable is it that there would be
Time-travel?

I'm going to address the rest of your post, but I want you to know that
it is because I would like very much to satisfactorily figure out what
is going on the LS/SS and I'm pretty sure your timeline doesn't cut it.
I am NOT doing it to win the crown of King Debater of the Urth List. Nor
I am doing it because I love chasing your arguments around the rose bush.