(urth) Pike's ghost

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Wed Nov 23 23:18:46 PST 2011

James Wynn wrote:
> I have some problems with a couple presumptions in your time-line, and
> there are some important mentions of time that you have not brought up.
> However, I'm not inclined to critique your time-line when I haven't
> produced one myself because that would be insulting. So I shall concede
> to you the argument at this point.

Conjunction is not a presumption. The rest was just a bonus, for context.
Conjunction establishes that at least two years passed between Horn asking
Mucor to search for Silk and Silkhorn's departure from Gaon. This was in
response to:

**********
> Let me see if I have this straight. You are suggesting that on the day
Horn
> visited Mucor and Marble at Mucor's Rock, at the beginning of Horn's
journey
> to Pajarocu, Silk was bleeding beside Hy's casket?
>
>No. I am posing that Silk was bleeding before Hy's casket well before that
day.
**********

There isn't a lot of time for that to have happened that isn't accounted for
in the text.

> > As I have said, I do not believe that dream travel involves time travel.
>
> On the issue of the second Oreb and on the grandmother's tale you've
> never proposed an explanation that I know of.
> I cannot argue with "I don't believe it".

Silkhorn explicitly stated that he had gotten inside Fava's tale and changed
it, which she later confirmed. If he did it to her story, he can do it to
another. As for the bird in Silk's bedroom, you postulated recently that
Oreb had been possessed by Pas at the time he "died" before Silk could
sacrifice him. You also recently noted that possessed humans can perform
feats they would not otherwise be able to perform. Pas could have done that
with Oreb, damaged wing and all, and the bird not remember the event. Not
that I believe it, but I guess you can't argue with yourself, either.

> > Neither do I believe that what Mucor does when she sends her spirit
forth is
> > the same thing that Silkhorn does when he dream travels. [...]
>
> Nor do I. I have repeatedly noted the difference in the way she
> disappears in Silk's room vs how she disappears from astral travel in
> the tunnels and on the Trivigaunte floater.

I don't think the differences among the times she disappears are
significant. Five such occasions have been mentioned, not counting mirrors.

> > That paradox aside, if you postulate that she went back in time to when
> > Silkhorn was in Blanko, then Hy had already been dead for at least two
years
> > and Horn's proposed trip to the LSW could not possibly have put her or
Silk
> > in jeopardy because he wasn't there and she was dead.
>
> "if you postulate that she went back in time to when Silkhorn was in
Blanko"
> Do you mean "forward in time"?

No, back in time. I only mentioned Blanko because you did, in response to
Gerry. I  included both comments in my previous post. Or see the quote from
you above.

Again, because you said:

> It would be the most self-evidently convenient if he met Mucor "on
> mission" after he arrived at Blanco.

There isn't enough time for Horn's journey to overlap Silkhorn's after he
arrived in Blanko.

-Roy