(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 87, Issue 179

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 23 14:47:45 PST 2011

James Wynn wrote:

> Andrew, I don't know if you saw my response to you on 11/9...
> http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/2011-November/024264.html
> ... but at that point I posed that the Mucor traveling with "Pike's
> ghost" is Mucor from Blue on her mission to locate Silk for Horn.

Yes, I saw this - I'm not doubting that there is a way to explain it
within the time-travel theory. I just wanted to see if a simpler
explanation could be given.

> ** If it seems that Wolfe did not provide enough clues for this,
> remember that this is the same thing as Auk kidnapping Hy for sacrifice
> and then realizing that "she was not the woman he was supposed to
> bring." There was no explanation of _that_internal struggle either.

Why do you say he kidnapped her for sacrifice? It seems to me -
admittedly with the benefit of hindsight - that what happened is
reasonably clear. Tartaros said  'Go to the woman...A woman is vital'.
Auk looked around for Chenille (whom Tartaros certainly meant; he had
told Auk to comfort her a page earlier), but she had disappeared. So
he ran out and grabbed Hyacinth. Later, Tartaros told him to let her
go, when the balance of his mind had been restored. There's no
explicit 'Ah, now I realise...', but presumably he did, as he let
Hyacinth go without arguing.