(urth) Like a good neighbor

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 09:06:27 PST 2011

>> Honestly, as my understanding of what is going on SS has
>> developed, I have come to see the echoes in Sev to be of a
>> gnostic Jesus but the echoes in the Rajan to be the more
>> Orthodox version: mediator, divine Incarnate, Trinity...
> Marc Aramini wrote:
> Well, my problem with this assessment of Silk is that he has no real power to heal the sick and the dying, as Severian occasionally showed.  He can only spiritually abet them [...]

Well, in Severian Wolfe doesn't deal with the Incarnation. He doesn't
present an example of a Trinity...how Three can be separate but One. The
concept of resurrection is much more closely paralleled with that of
Jesus (even Gerry recognizes the Three Days In the Grave incidence).
With the Rajan, Wolfe is providing placing a Christ-figure in a
different sense. To a much greater extent than with Severian, Horn dies
so that mankind can live. And after all, saints heal as well.

> Also, I know I've said this before, but I really don't like the clone Typhon-Silk because it does complicate the four parents on the aureate path:

As you know, I had my own reasons for not liking Silk as Typhon's clone.
But even when I was strongly arguing that Silk was /surely/ a clone of
Typhon's son, I recognized that there were a /lot/ of hints equating
them both as the Big Man himself. Ultimately, I have to go where the
text leads and if that makes the scene on the Aureate path a mystery?
Well, it was a bit of a mystery already.

> we CAN identify them if Silk is a son and that fits the details better (assuming the final picture of Silk with his head on Typhon is one of ascension and apotheosis of a son overtaking the demiurge, which actually seems a bit gnostic, no?).

Alas! Were that the only hint that Silk and Typhon are equated. Silk as
Typhon's son works well in a lot of ways. In a few ways it breaks down.
Silk as Typhon works in a lot of ways, bringing in references that the
Son Theory has to ignore. Ultimately, I think it is better. It does make
the Aureate Path scene problematic. Incidentally, what role, if any,
does Quetzal play in Silk's resurrection?

> The details of the text are also better fitted with Tussah as a being distinct from Typhon, honestly. There are no dream sequences equating them in the way that Mamelta/Hy/Kypris/Chenille are equated.

Yeah, having accepted that Silk is /merely/ a clone of Typhon (rather
than in someone both a clone and a son) I admit that there is just no
way Tussah can be equated to Typhon. The assertion that Silk is Tussah's
son entirely and solely by mere adoption is B.S., I think. I could fudge
things by saying that Tussah was wholly possessed by Typhon when he said
that, and that the gods engineered his death for that reason--that
works. I'm not entirely satisfied that that is the answer but it works.

On the other hand....hmmm....I'm going to start a new thread on this.