(urth) Like a good neighbor

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Nov 23 07:23:06 PST 2011

On 11/23/2011 10:02 AM, Marc Aramini wrote:
> Also, I know I've said this before, but I really don't like the clone Typhon-Silk because it does complicate the four parents on the aureate path: we CAN identify them if Silk is a son and that fits the details better (assuming the final picture of Silk with his head on Typhon is one of ascension and apotheosis of a son overtaking the demiurge, which actually seems a bit gnostic, no?).  The details of the text are also better fitted with Tussah as a being distinct from Typhon, honestly. There are no dream sequences equating them in the way that Mamelta/Hy/Kypris/Chenille are equated.  The best evidence for cloning is found in statements like "Pas grew himself from a seed" and the idea of a nightside and regular Silk, but the particulars of the text make it much more tenable to identify the parents if we are dealing with a son, which is, as Lemur said, what Typhon wanted to replace him.

Is it impossible to equate a clone with a son? After all, if you or I
cloned ourselves, we would raise the result as a son. All we'd be doing
is cutting out the middle, er, middlewoman (at least her genetic
contribution). We wouldn't expect this son to be identical to us---he'd
have different parents, a different history, scars, everything. Was
Athena not the daughter of Zeus?

If this semantic distinction causes such a problem, why not just let it go?