(urth) Like a good Neighbor

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Nov 22 06:52:59 PST 2011

On 11/22/2011 8:29 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> *From:* David Stockhoff <mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net>
> *> Gerry Quinn*
> *>>David Stockhoff*
> she sees
> > >She knows they don’t move if you stick a fork in them. I don’t know
> > >how you deduce she knows much more than that. She didn’t get close
> > >enough to Horn to try him out.
> > >There’s no evidence that she has some special corpse-identification
> > >ability.
> >What, because it's not listed next to her name in the character list?
> Remember what I said about silly sarcasm? That’s an example. Tell me
> how you know she has that ability.

Gerry, no sarcasm is silly if it gets an extremely stubborn person to
pay a tiny bit of attention. Seawrack tells us. Read the text you adore
so much. And by the way, YOU invented "special corpse-identification
ability" just to be a sarcastic prick. I make no argument for its
specialness---the bar is much lower than you pretend.

> serious?

> trees, see
>
> >> Who cares about fairies? We’re talking about Neighbours, not fairies.
> >> Maybe they have some things in common, but we only know those from our
> >> knowledge of the Neighbours anyway. The trees, the other dimensions,
> >> the extra limbs – these are Neighbour associations. You think Horn has
> >> acquired a Neighbour soul – you’d expect any changes in his psyche to
> >> fit with what we know of Neighbours.
> >> And the changes don’t seem to fit fairies much anyway, if it matters.
>
> >You've completely backed away abandoned any pretense of discussion on
> >that point. You've left all questions unanswered and just repeat
> >yourself. You know nothing of the Neighbors.
> You’re making yourself look silly now. It’s one thing to say the
> Neighbours have some Faerie-like aspects. It’s another to refuse to
> discuss them unless I pretend they are not Neighbours but fairies.

YOU are refusing to discuss the text. As usual. Because you have no idea
how X can "be" Y and yet not "be" Y in a work of fiction. I can't help
you there.

> > > Wasn’t that much later, after further encounters with the Neighbours?
> >> [And he was trailblazing through Blue, not Faerie. There are no
> >> indications he ever went to Faerie. That applies to the Neighbours’
> > > dimension too, which may be analogous in some ways to Faerie but does
> > > not appear identical.]
>
> > We've already learned you know nothing of Faerie.
> Where did we learn that? And if it were true, why would it matter?

Books, books, books, my friend. Read them and come back to the
discussion you have fled because the big kids are using concepts you
don't understand.