(urth) Like a good Neighbor

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 21 14:47:00 PST 2011

--- On Mon, 11/21/11, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Gerry is a provocative fellow. I have many times proclaimed
> that I just won't read is posts. I'm pretty sure I've read
> posts from both David and Lee that declare the same. But
> then I'll note that he has asked a really good question and
> I respond to. But it invariably comes to the fact that
> Gerry's approach to Wolfe is so alien to mine and so useless
> to mine, that he takes such open pleasure in being ornery,
> that every time I just kick myself for being engaged again.
> He's like a crazy girlfriend I once had.

I think most authors CAN be read meaningfully on the surface level, even supposedly highbrow ones like Tolstoy et al, but Wolfe is THE most obscure, clever, tricky, cryptic fellow - the stories don't make as much sense until you start to do the analysis, it's just clear he likes to be tricksy.  (for example, making green and blue colored green and blue like urth and lune, you know he wants people to TRY to map the planets to them, and FAIL.)