(urth) Like a good Neighbor

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 14:21:28 PST 2011

On 11/21/2011 4:01 PM, Sergei SOLOVIEV wrote:
> Because it is undermining his second "resurrection" - central to the
> book - his spirit
> passing into the body of Silk and guiding him to Blue.

No. It only *necessarily* undermines a particular reading of that event.
On the first reading, the audience assumes that Horn made it to Green
and is then transported to Silk.
But the narrator has said throughout the book that he horribly failed in
his task. Understanding that Horn failed in his quest even before
reaching Pajarocu. Just as we thought the narrator of LS was a
omniscient narrator but turned out to be a couple of kids who went to
Silk's school, we find out eventually the narrator of SS is not Horn but
someone else. In this case, the second resurrection is caused to make
sense because we realize that  the Horn who went to Green, who
negotiated with the Neighbors, is not human.
A changeling has been inserted into the story.

On 11/21/2011 4:06 PM, Sergei SOLOVIEV wrote:
> I think Gerry is often in the role of "underdog" - you are many, and
> it looks like (for a participant
> who has no animosity or personal interest to take sides) you often
> immediately
> (and aggressively)  support
> each other just from friendship or whatever -

Gerry is a provocative fellow. I have many times proclaimed that I just
won't read is posts. I'm pretty sure I've read posts from both David and
Lee that declare the same. But then I'll note that he has asked a really
good question and I respond to. But it invariably comes to the fact that
Gerry's approach to Wolfe is so alien to mine and so useless to mine,
that he takes such open pleasure in being ornery, that every time I just
kick myself for being engaged again. He's like a crazy girlfriend I once
had.