(urth) Like a good Neighbor

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 19:37:08 PST 2011

On 11/19/2011 9:18 PM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
> If [Mucor's] astral powers are at all to make any sense, what she is able to locate are spirits. If the spirits of Horn and Silk weren't there, she wouldn't find them. And meeting the Rajan in the Whorl raises the exact same question.

I don't think the prerequisite declared in the first clause of the first
sentence of the above to be true.

>> Well, I hardly think those are the only two implications.
>> At least one other is that they know they are not talking to a Neighbor nor a human but something utterly unique: a merging of the two. So they were speaking about limitations reflected in his humanity.
>>
>> Even if they didn't know they were talking to Neighborish entity (which I doubt) and others did, what of it? Who says the Neighbors know everything about each other's business? This is similar to Gerry's refutation about the fact that the Rajan claimed to know something about the Mother's  worshippers but not /everything/. You're human, Roy. So obviously you know everything about the church services of Primitive Baptists or the Bahai.
> There's the little bit that we're not 'psychic' as they supposedly are, which renders any comparison with us pointless. Again, that can be explained away, only not so far convincingly.

Once again, there's no reason to suppose being a Neighbor makes one
omniscient. One is free to make the objection. But all it warrants from
me is a shrug. I simply don't find Roy's competing theory (implied by
the sum of his objections) at all acceptable: That Horn didn't die in
the pit. If a fellow can't catch this hint from Wolfe, I probably won't
be able to convince him of the rest of it anyway.