(urth) Fwd: Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 16:02:56 PST 2011

>> Marc and I agree with how Silk is reanimated in front of Hyacinth's
>> casket.
>> It is just that I think the same process occurred for Horn.
>

> António Pedro Marques wrote:
> But you're not at all describing it as the same.
>
> - Horn physically dies and is resurrected (how at all?) with a
> Neighbour's spirit who acquires his personality (how, alzabo-wise)?

It is exactly the same process for Silk as for Horn.
Horn vacates his body. The Neighbor enters. Silk vacates his body. The
Neighbor enters.

What the Neighbor acquires is Horn's body and his brain (memories). Horn
dies and vacates. The Neighbor enters and repairs. There a two
significant passages that explains what is going on here. One is in OBW,
in which the Narrator actually tells a story in OBW about a puppet Horn
had as a child in which his mother worked the puppet better than he
could. This is foreshadowing that Horn himself will become a puppet for
a Neighbor who will complete the task he so miserably failed at
(breaking his neck before getting far out of New Viron).

The second is the Narrator's conversation with Hound in RttW comparing
the soul to the resident of a house. That one dies when the spirit
leaves, not merely when the body is damaged.

>> - The Neighbour pretending to be Horn knows nothing about the
>> Neighbours, so he has to interact with them as if he were plain Horn.

Note that the trees where Horn is killed are small. We're talking about
a young Neighbor. When the Neighbor (a spiritual being) combines with
Horn's body (a physical entity) they become something new. If you've
read The Wizard Knight then you will remember Able's conversation
explaining this to Mani the cat -- the combination of an eternal
elemental spirit and a very temporal cat. Does Mani regale everyone of
the millennia he has spent as an elemental? No. Because he is not an
eternal elemental spirit anymore than the cat is anymore an ordinary
cat. Horn's memories are what are overriding here; that and the
Neighbor's desire to make up for a wrong. At an important level he
*does* remember and at another level he is in conscious denial because
he feels guilty for causing Horn's death.

>> - The Neighbour pretending to be Horn is about to die physically
>> (again) and is told by the Neighbours they can send his spirit (the
>> Neighbour's? Horn's?

NO! Not Horn. Horn died in the pit. Horn's spirit has gone to the
Outsider. If Horn's body dies, then he go back to being a Neighbor just
as Mani's elemental will return to his former state when the cat's body
dies. Note that as Neighbor-Horn is dying, he's not lamenting at the
loss of his life. He's lamenting the failure of his mission.  He will
have failed Horn. He will have failed to make up for killing Horn (as he
sees it).  The Neighbors offer to assist him, however. They are going to
do with Silk what our Narrator has already done with Horn. They'll send
him (a spiritual being) into Silk. I'll venture a guess that when a
Neighbor enters a body in that way, the very act repairs the body
(possibly using the same method that dream-travelers create weapons and
even people out of nothing.

See? The SAME thing that resurrected the body of Horn will resurrect the
body of Silk?

>> Why one and/or not the other or both) into Silk's body, whose 'spirit
>> is dying'.

Because Horn's spirit is gone. It left when Horn fell into the pit.

>> Now, I haven't met any character in the books whose spirit actually
>> can die, so I can only assume it is metaphor - either Silk was about
>> to provoke his own physical death, or he'd walk along as a zombie,
>> but that isn't death, nor irrevocable (though psychiatry in the Whorl
>> isn't better than ours).

Silk slashed his wrists in front of Hy's casket. The Neighbor entered
Silk's body as Silk left it.

>> - After Horn's and/or Neighbour pretending to be Horn's spirit enters
>> Silk, Silk's spirit remains dormant for long, but if we are to
>> believe the preceding point then that would have happened all the
>> same. So it's different from Horn's assumed death at the pit.

Silk is not there. His memories are there because the Neighbor has
merged with his body. And the Neighbor, who makes a choice to identify
as Horn out of guilt for killing him, still recalls when he was merged
with Horn's body. He remembers Horn's memories.
But Horn's spirit is gone. Silk's spirit is gone. Now Horn's body is
gone. But the Neighbor's devotion to the memory of Horn remains.