(urth) Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Wed Nov 16 08:36:32 PST 2011

From: James Wynn

> Gerry Quinn wrote:
> > This may seem a minor nit, but the Mucor who stands over Silk is described as “skeletally thin”.  On Blue
> > Horn notes that she is still thin, but not as thin as she was.

> It's certainly worth bringing up, but it is hardly a deal breaker.

I agree.

> > [even if] the Rajan can travel in time, it’s surely a stretch that he can grab people
> > who are psychically travelling in some other mode, and bring them back
> > in time.  Furthermore, how would Mucor get back to her own time?

> How does anyone get back during astral travel? They wake up.
But does Mucor go to sleep when initiating her brand of out-of-body travel?
  > > again, an argument of a kind you dislike: but if Wolfe wanted to
  > > write in these super-hidden explanations and leave subtle clues,
  > > he had a great opportunity to indicate that the Mucor Silk sees
  > > here is not so thin as usual.

> Yeah. I really really hate this kind of argument. It's worse than lazy. It's an
> argument someone would only reasonably make if they had never read a
> Wolfe novel.

That statement is truly absurd, as I am making it, having read many.  And I consider it a strong argument, because I respect Wolfe’s talents as a writer to much to believe he would make such elementary blunders (Mucor isn’t really a problem as it’s just one incident, but I think the gravity thing is a good example of something that can be totally ruled out by this argument.)

> When you can point to the clear, textual explanation of what
>  is happening with the Horn-Babbie confabulation, or how the Rajan gains
> the power of dream-travel, or how the Rajan ended up in the grandmother's
> tale, or who is the barnacled man Horn encounters, or the nature of
> Seawrack, or what the shattered glass structure is that Horn and Seawrack
> encountered on the island, or  why Silk decided that he and Sand were
> "brothers" in some sense based on the vague similarity of their names...
> then you will certainly have cause to argue "Well, if that's what Wolfe
>  intended, then why didn't he just *say* so?"

This is a completely different situation.  In your examples we have Wolfe putting in obvious anomalies that need clearing up.  In the examples I’m talking about, the anomalies are absent where, if a (generally unlikely) theory were valid, they would be expected to be present.

- Gerry Quinn