(urth) vanished people=Hieros

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 7 19:42:57 PST 2011

--- On Mon, 11/7/11, António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: (urth) vanished people=Hieros
> Date: Monday, November 7, 2011, 6:48 PM
> Marc Aramini wrote (07-11-2011
> 22:29):
> > It's like a sick feeling of familiarity but for sure
> the ancient city of the
> > inhumi seems to map pretty well to Nessus.
>
> Well, you've said this a number of times. But just what
> makes Nessus similar to the City of the Inhumi?

Really?

I'm just going to use direct quotes.

"This was a tower indeed, its nose high as the tops of the tallest trees and its sleek lines radiating a strength it no longer posessed.  I can see it now, that slightly canted tower gleaming dully in the reddish ligh of the stifling afternoon.  Like a rotting corpse, it showed ribs wehre some sideplates had been taken.  How we shouted in our delight, thinking it would save us!"
[tower on Green to save them, its a ship like the Matachin tower]

"There is a city somewhat like this on Green, but we are not on Green; these houses would be the towers of the Neighbor lords there. ... I've been thinking about it, and about the City of the Inhumi on Green. Those were ruins left by the Neighbors' ancient race; these were left by ours, I believe -- we are as ancient as they, or nearly. "

"A wide and ruinous road of dark stone ran beside the water, which lapped its edges in places, leaving the great, dark paving blocks slimed and filthy in a way that recalled the sewer on Green"

The two cities are compared several times.  The clearing of the sewer reenacts the purging of a watery cleansing to clear out the corpses.

What makes them similar is really how the narrator says they remind him of each other. There are probably more parallels.  Keep in mind I do think the narrator is confused about who and where he is, and this refusal to recognize is thematically tied to his refusla to acknowledge himself as Silk and the irony of Horn's statement, "Silk would never lie to himself as I have" [paraphrased]