(urth) This week in Google alerts

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 19:06:32 PST 2011

>Andrew Mason: Yes. I think that _Long Sun_ starts out looking like an

>allegory of gnosticism, with the Outsider as the true God, and Pas as the
>Demiurge. But in the course of the series it becomes clear that there
>isn't a straightforward opposition between the true God and the gods
>of the world; some of them can be redeemed, some may even turn out to
>have been aspects of the true God all along. That's a redemption of
>paganism. I'm not sure it can be called a redemption of gnosticism,
>because the opposition is central to gnosticism as it's generally
>understood. rather I'd call it a rejection of gnosticism by redemption
>of the gnostic gods of the world (demiurge/archons).

I agree with this view. I also think it is congruent with WOlfe's stated

personal beliefs regarding the gods of the pagan world. When placed in

the position of demiurge rather than tyrant, Typhon/Pas was constrained

to act as one.

(FWIW, I consider this an important principle in modern global politics-

allow a terrorist group to assume the position of being a government and

they start acting like one. Israel should take notes from Wolfe, unless

their current anti-Palestinian state policy is secretly in hopes of not

losing a convenient scapegoat)