(urth) Hyacinth "post mortem"

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Nov 4 07:25:12 PDT 2011

On 11/4/2011 7:56 AM, Sergei SOLOVIEV wrote:

> There was some real "transsexual" (or something very close) in the
> story told by
> Spider to Mint and Remora. When it really plays the role in the story
> it is told explicitly - even if it is needed only to create an
> "atmosphere".

The spy Titi, yes. It is made quite clear.

I don;t think it's atmosphere, though---I think Wolfe wants to include
homosexuals etc. as imperfect human beings trying to be better with poor
models to work from. They are imperfect in a certain way that fits with
his concerns (obsessions?) with the body and procreation.

I think the "male Hy" theory needs some way to make Hy male in a way
that does not involve genitals. For example---just an example---if we
knew she were a female Typhon, i.e., a clone of him with a bit of a
twist to make her female.

She'd then be a potentially aggressive masculine personality (if you
accept Typhon's engineered general genetic superiority) in a very female
body. If we assume that sex change surgery is unheard of in the Whorl,
then that makes her almost, not quite, a transsexual who has no concept
of transsexuality. As a prostitute, she is unspecific about her partners
and may even register as bisexual. So she might be another type of the
imperfect human striving to work it all out.

Again, just an example, with none of the implications worked out.