(urth) Hyacinth "post mortem"

Sergei SOLOVIEV soloviev at irit.fr
Fri Nov 4 04:56:46 PDT 2011

Frankly, I think that before discussing the theories about "masculinity" of
Hyacinth it would be useful to think about the causes of her death.

To me it looks like some nasty gynaecological disease, like cervical cancer
(she is about 40). It is very probably related to her early situation
as a "sex worker". Transsexuals usually die of other causes.
If it is breast cancer, again, nothing to do with implants.
As far as I remember, it was discussed somewhere (with Chenille?)
that the girls at Orchid had to get rid often of  the foetuses. It can
explain easily the infertility of Hyacinth. It is told also that she
and Silk tried to have children.
The desperation of Silk is better explained in this context,
if you add to the brew some "masculinity" or "transsexuality" it will
only confuse the matter.

More arguments against this theory.

There was some real "transsexual" (or something very close) in the story
told by
Spider to Mint and Remora. When it really plays the role in the story
it is told explicitly - even if it is needed only to create an "atmosphere".

I think the argument that Hyacinth in the story about Apollo and Hyacinth
was male is weak - the Hyacinth (flower) grew from his blood, it doesn't
mean
the flower is male. The girls names in the Whorl are given after plants
regardless to the gender of the word in Roman languages.
(By the way, Lily in French is "Lys" and
it is "male".) Amor (love) also was male, and it didn't bother
even the medieval Catholics.

Sergei