(urth) This week in Google Alerts

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 09:35:37 PDT 2011

Right. I get the concerns, but, at the same time, it seems like a lot of the reasons given for a particular timeline have an odd mix of "real" and "sf" science: for example, you're worrying about how long a black hole would take to slowly destroy a star. Fair enough. But we're also granting a science that can create black holes wherever they want, like in the middle of a burning sun. Why are some scientific "facts" hard and fast and others very loose?

I get the worries, though. It bugged me when I read that Wolfe said 20,000 years because the whole atmosphere of the book seemed millions of years to me, and the dying sun (artificially or not) confirmed that in my first sense of the story. Plus, the miners who dug through layers of culture seemed to require much more than thousands of years to really make that scene "wondrous" for me.

But, again, putting any actual number on this requires a lot of "IFs" and questionable assumptions, it seems. In the end, I prefer it to be "a really long time" and not knowing exactly is a more appropriate sense of history that Severian has throughout most of the book. This is one of those cases where I prefer it when the "clues" don't add up to a consistent picture.