(urth) This week in Google Alerts

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 09:25:01 PDT 2011

The actual years distinction doesn't seem to make much difference in terms of Urth's culture. The culture was that way at that time because Wolfe said it is. His fiction, his rules. We can rationalize how much culture is lost/forgotten/transmuted by bringing up whatever examples we like, but, in the books, if it changed that much in 20,000, then it did because that's how Wolfe conceives of cultural erosion/mutation.

But the question it does beg to me seems to be that of why the Sun is dying. In 20,000 years, it wouldn't burn out naturally, right? And if it was artificial, then who/why? That seems to be the real issue of the time lag, and I think it's been hashed out here before.