(urth) Drotte-Roche mixup

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Tue May 31 14:50:21 PDT 2011

James Wynn wrote:

. Perhaps once a book has been copyrighted,
> it is deemed to expensive for Tor to update it. Perhaps Wolfe has a
> personal philosophy about these things. "Once published, the tree lays
> where it falls."

_Epiphany_ certainly diverges from earlier editions at one point: the
memorable line 'At that moment I burst into the room' is changed to
the dull 'At that moment Horn burst into the room'..

> Why would anyone make prosthetic hands for a woman that look old? On the
> other hand, whatever one believes about Rose's hands, the fact that they
> are *old-looking* requires its own speculative theory. She first started
> wearing them when she was in her forties.

Can you remember where that is established? If she was actually old
when she got them, they can have been made to look old just to blend
naturally with the rest of her. If, on the other hand, they were made
for a chem, why would they be made to look old? The sense I get is
that Marble looked young for as long as she had a human appearance at
all.

That they are, in any case, mechanical and not flesh seems to be
established by the fact that, when one is severed, the talus workshop
is thought to be the place to go to have it reattached. .I don't think
the talus manufacturers would be able to work with flesh. Isn't there
even a bit about how it's not just a matter of welding, there are
wires that have to be reattached, or something like that?

> 3)  They absorbed her personality so readily because that is what
> chem-technology is designed to do. That's why Marble can remember Urth's
> short sun.

I don't follow this - why in any case would Marble not remember the
short sun? Wasn't she created under it?