(urth) Drotte-Roche mixup

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue May 31 11:31:42 PDT 2011

On 4/19/2011 6:49 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> Rose's hands appear to be gloves of a kind, that seem to work on both
> bios and chems by covering the limb, not replacing it.

Why would anyone make prosthetic hands for a woman that look old? On the
other hand, whatever one believes about Rose's hands, the fact that they
are *old-looking* requires its own speculative theory. She first started
wearing them when she was in her forties.

In Nightside, Silk speculates how much of Rose is hers anymore.

I'm already involved in compiling evidence that Hy is Fava so I might
not do anything to defend it, but this is what I believe.

1) Rose's hands are from a chem.
http://www.urth.org/whorlmap/molybdenum.htm
2) They are old because they belonged to Maytera Betel before they were
Rose's.
3)  They absorbed her personality so readily because that is what
chem-technology is designed to do. That's why Marble can remember Urth's
short sun.

On 4/19/2011 3:01 AM, soloviev at irit.fr wrote:
> I am not so sure that this explanation is right. Please, remind, James,
> where it is said that Rose's prosthetic hands are not flesh?
> In the "Book of the New Sun" Severian has a friend Jonas, who
> is a chem (at Urth at this time they are not called so), but
> Jonas has one hand and some other parths taken from a bio -
> he explains it himself to Severian. So the combination is
> possible.
>
> I don't remember where it was said, maybe it is your own
> deduction that they (Rose's hands) are not flesh, only
> "realistically veined", because they could be "grafted"
> to Marble?

That's an interesting take, but who would have done the grafting?