(urth) Problematic element in chronology

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Tue May 31 10:33:34 PDT 2011

From: "Sergei SOLOVIEV" <soloviev at irit.fr>

> Moses made Jews wander 40 years through Sinai. If you take the shortest
> way, it is
> at most a few hundred kilometres. What makes you think that the Whorl had
> taken the shortest path to its destination? It could very well go with
> relativistic
> speed and make a detour. It seems also that the plan might include that
> the Whorl
> will come back and repeople Urth (Ushas) after the floods etc. - in the
> end
> of the Short Sun cycle it is going to be repaired and travel again - to go
> where?
> Some hints are also in the end of "The Urth of the New Sun".

It's not easy to turn a relativistic asteroid!  And it doesn't seem like
they stopped anywhere en route, so why waste all that energy?

If Typhon wanted to repopulate Urth at a later time (but he says nothing of
any such plan when he meets Severian in BotNS) he could have put sleepers on
Lune or something.  But anyway he had no reason to make any such plan.

My impression is that the Whorl is intended to be repaired and explore
further among the stars.  Perhaps that was the original plan, derailed by
the death of Pas.

- Gerry Quinn