(urth) Seventeen

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri May 27 05:11:23 PDT 2011

>David Stockhoff: But since the Internet was not around in the 1970s, we are left with (a)
>Communist slogans (b) ad slogans as a source of total social
>brainwashing. From the soldier's tale, Ascia certainly sounds more like
>China than Madison Avenue, to me.

Yes, I would agree. Not only was the Cold War on in full force in the 70's, Gene Wolfe can
be fairly labelled as having a history of a Cold Warrior. Not to suggest he was a blinder-on
American patriot but at the time, communism was considered both a real threat and America's
main enemy. In a Wolfe interview, I think he said that he set Ascia in N. America in part
because he wanted to show, "it could happen here".

>Nathan C. Tresch: I think it's just as likely that formalism and political
> correctness taken to an extreme could produce such a culture, or that
> some kind of mass media which spread slogans, (like the internet
> spreading memes), could also be the impetus.

Not disagreeing, necessarily, but that does sound like a very 21st century sentiment. The masses
were not so considered as "sheeple" in the 70's. If they chose to adopt a popular slogan, that was
free will, the opposite of communism.