(urth) Bloodsport

JBarach at aol.com JBarach at aol.com
Thu May 26 16:07:03 PDT 2011

Thanks for the response, James.

I understand that a knight can take a queen in chess.  But I'm not
persuaded that that's what happens at the end of "Bloodsport."

First, Valorius undergoes a transformation at the end, marked by the
opening tomb, the presence of his father, now at rest, and the passing on of a
mantle.

Second, Valorius is linked up with the sun at the end, and it is by the sun
 that he is enabled to kill the moon-queen, Lurn.  This is associated with
their previous conversation about sun and moon combatting.  Sun and moon
correspond to man and woman or, more specifically, to king  and queen.  So it
seems to me that Valorius is now a king, which  could happen only in
checkers (though, I'd add, he's also clearly under Our Lord  the Sun, which is an
appropriate view for a Christian king).

And then there is a common expression "X was playing chess when Y was
playing checkers" (or vice versa): _http://tinyurl.com/444c5pw_
(http://tinyurl.com/444c5pw) .

John