(urth) Bloodsport

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu May 26 15:43:16 PDT 2011

> SPOILERS
>
> * Is there significance to the names of the main characters, Valorius
> the Knight (surely connected to "valor") and Lurn the pawn (surely an
> allusion to Lune, the moon)?

Valorius is fine name for a knight. I can't find any likely reference to
"lurn" in any language. It bothers me.

> She reminds V, at one point, of "the maid no man has bussed," which is
> probably Diana, right?

I think we're talking about Persephone (the Maiden). But it is possible
that he is talking about Caissa the dryad who is the muse of Chess.

> * What is the game they're playing early in the story?  It sounds like
> chess with human pieces, but the names of the pieces aren't all the
> same as in our game of chess.  We don't have bowmen or slingers, etc.
> Is that difference significant?

The game, I think, is _like_ chess, but not exactly like chess. It has
certain variations such that an attacker does not always win.  In some
countries, the bishop was an archer.

> In the larger game that they're playing, Lurn makes it to the far side
> of the board, as it were, and becomes a queen, which is what happens
> in chess. At the same time, however, Valorius makes it to the far side
> of the board, as it were, and he becomes able to defeat Lurn, which
> suggests that he has become a king, which is what happens in checkers.

No. Any queen can be taken by a knight or anything else.

> * When V meets Lurn again, immediately after this dream, he is
> initially afraid that she will want to engage in combat (p. 84).
> Doing so, he says, "would be but folly *as the world stands today*"
> (p. 84).  At first read, that could be taken this way: "We're both
> trying to escape from the Hunas, so it would be foolish for us to
> fight each other."

I take it to mean, "The is no game. So there is no benefit in us fighting."
It is possible that you are over-thinking the phrase "as the world
stands today".

But I think you are right. Valorius and Lurn live on the moon of another
planet. For them, the planet is their 'moon'.

> Is that what has happened at the end of the story?  Or is Lurn
> mistaken (or deliberately trying to keep V from killing her)?

See my comment to Marc regarding this.

> * Okay, the last paragraph, with its Christ-like allusions, I'm not
> sure about.  V has inherited the kingdom, presumably, but at this
> point, there's still a lot of darkness, there are tyrants, etc.  But
> not forever.

Again, I think he endeavors to put an end to tyrants.

> That much I understand.  But what do the various elements of this
> paragraph mean?
> - "Should our folk require a sword, I am the sword that springs to
> their hands"
> - "Asked to heal, I cure their sick -- when I can": He isn't Christ,
> but he is a Christian figure.
> - "If they bring food, I eat it.  If they do not, I fast or find my
> own": An allusion to Jesus' instruction to his disciples when he sent
> them out to make their living from preaching the gospel?

As I see it, he is the ideal of the knight errant. He serves but does
not demand service.

I'll think about the rest of your questions.

J.