(urth) Wolfe's brilliance or my denseness?

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue May 24 05:48:00 PDT 2011

Antonio Pedro Marques: my instictive reading of Dorcas was
> DAWRK-us (gave up on IPA), possibly not that far from the
> AmE pronunciation,but not being acquainted with the name I
> switfly considered door-KAZZ, seeing as there was a guy
> nearby looking for a KAZZ.

Yes, that is to my point. An AmE speaker seeing the name "Cas" even if he/she
knows it to be a nickname, will not be sure whether to pronounce it "cass" as
in "Cassandra" or "Kazz" as in "Casdoe".

But seeing the name Dorcas, we do not think of "cass" or "kazz" as
the pronunuciation of the second syllable. For us it is "kis" or "kus". Antonio,
I am thinking in your language the name Tomas' is pronounced in a way in which
"Mas" could be an extractible nickname. Not so for the English Thomas.

>Marc Aramini- but one more thing: any bible thumping type would immediately associate
>Dorcas with resurrection as soon as they heard the name.

Wolfe may have aimed that name at Biblical scholars. I know I hadn't heard of the
resurrected Dorcas until after reading BotNS and doing some research. I have the
feeling the "gazelle" reference in her name is also important.