(urth) "Realistic fiction leaves out too much." - Gene Wolfe

Mo Holkar lists at ukg.co.uk
Fri May 6 02:00:32 PDT 2011

At 19:01 05/05/2011, Sergei wrote:
>By the way, I didn't like much the Orvell's "1984" (I did like
>the Animal Farm). The reason - "Animal Farm" is presented as abstract,
>symbolic fiction, and it seems almost perfect symbol.
>The "1984" contains many details that were not convincing,
>even as a possible development of the society in the USSR.
>It was still very good
>as a scheme, on the level of abstract ideas (language in "1984",
>inner Party, etc), but not in realistic details.

It's interesting that you had that reading of Nineteen Eighty-Four. I
read it not as trying to depict a development of USSR society, but as
trying to depict what a collectivist society would be like
specifically as it could be in the UK. So I think there is no real
attempt by the author to think about the Soviet actuality -- but
mostly just a mission to critique tendencies in 1930s-40s UK politics
and society.

I guess I have this perspective because I live in the UK myself, but
then Orwell did too :-) and I think that in Nineteen Eighty-Four he
was trying to send a message to his own country, more than to the
rest of the world. As you say, Animal Farm, because of its
abstraction, is a more universal piece of work.

best wishes,

Mo

# ~ # ~ #

WolfeWiki -- a wiki about Gene Wolfe