(urth) "Realistic fiction leaves out too much." - Gene Wolfe

soloviev at irit.fr soloviev at irit.fr
Thu May 5 11:01:28 PDT 2011

Dear Jerry,

it is interesting to compare our impressions - I've read with
great interest "The Dispossessed". I found the psychological
portrait of an Anarchist society quite deep. For me, it was
a good example of literary experiment in the domain of politics,
my impression was that central theme is a sort of "deconstruction"
of Anarchist ideal. I.e., whether a complete freedom (without
destroying the others, and keeping a form of a society is truly
possible). Other societies in "TD" were for me less convincing,
almost caricatural.

I would like to remark (to the list) that since I've grown up in
the USSR (and was living there continuously until my 34),
I may have a particular interest in this sort of book as an observer.
So, to me in TD there is no convincing image of soviet-style
society.

By the way, I didn't like much the Orvell's "1984" (I did like
the Animal Farm). The reason - "Animal Farm" is presented as abstract,
symbolic fiction, and it seems almost perfect symbol.
The "1984" contains many details that were not convincing,
even as a possible development of the society in the USSR.
It was still very good
as a scheme, on the level of abstract ideas (language in "1984",
inner Party, etc), but not in realistic details.

My guess concerning the opinion of Gene Wolfe about "TD"
is that a)he may not like these experiments with politics
and b)as any good writer with his own agenda he needs sometimes
to be harsh on fellow writers to define better his own "method"
(define by opposition).

All the best

Sergei Soloviev