(urth) Problematic element in chronology - Red Giants

Fernando Gouvea fqgouvea at colby.edu
Sun May 29 12:44:49 PDT 2011

Alas, /A Brief History of Time/ was published in 1988, while BotNS was
1980-83 and even /Urth of the New Sun/ was 1987.

Fernando

On 5/29/2011 2:53 PM, Sergei SOLOVIEV wrote:
> Also, somewhere in the "BotNS" it is mentioned A /Brief History of
> Time/  (written by Stephen Hawking, subtitled "From the Big Bang to
> Black Holes", but the author and subtitle are
> not mentioned by Wolfe). One of artefacts of our place and time
> in Wolfe's Solar cycle. (I would make a list
> of such curiosities.) It means that Wolfe himself knew
> the book, and probably knew well the science of black holes
> of our time.

Fernando Q. Gouvea                http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea
Carter Professor of Mathematics
Colby College
5836 Mayflower Hill               Editor, MAA Reviews
Waterville, ME 04901              http://www.maa.org/maareviews

Secularists, humanists and quiet worshipers of an unpoliticized God have felt beleaguered, frustrated and unfairly disrespected. There's no energy on the non-zealot side of the cultural debate. There's no Voltaire, no Clarence Darrow, not even a Lenny Bruce to balance the stifling, censorious religiosity -- not even a Bill Clinton or a Jimmy Carter to show that religion doesn't have to resemble some Tom DeLay combination of contempt and pious hypocrisy. So the prayer, so to speak, was that the new pope might miraculously turn out to be a shot in the arm not just for anti-materialism but also for anti-religious humbug, anti-medievalism and anti-repressive orthodoxy.
   -- Tina Brown, in The Washington Post, 4/19/2005