(urth) Problematic element in chronology - Red Giants

Sergei SOLOVIEV soloviev at irit.fr
Sun May 29 11:53:30 PDT 2011

You say it is not obvious - let me quote Wolfe (from "Return to the Whorl",
chapter "He took me with him" - written by Hoof -)

"The Red Sun was rising behind us, and the old falling-down city was between
us and it. It was so big and so dark, like a great big coal buried in ashes.
You could look right at it , and the whole city was dark against it (...)
You could see how big that city was, and it was bigger than I ever imagined (...)
But against the Red Sun like that, you saw how little the city was,too. This
is hard to explain. The city was immense. Huge. (...) So it was all so big
that when you looked at it, it was hard to breathe. But the sun kept rising
and rising, and Nessus was little."

Severian may be so acquanted to his Red Sun that he does not think it
anything special. Hoof comes from the planet with ordinary yellow sun,
and he is immediately impressed. (It is possible, of course, that GW
didn't think too much about the size of the sun when he wrote TBotNS,
and decited to be more precise later - but I think this quotation proves
that he represents the Red Sun as a Red Giant.)

Also, somewhere in the "BotNS" it is mentioned
A /Brief History of Time/  (written by Stephen Hawking, subtitled "From the Big Bang to Black Holes", but the author and subtitle are
not mentioned by Wolfe). One of artefacts of our place and time
in Wolfe's Solar cycle. (I would make a list
of such curiosities.) It means that Wolfe himself knew
the book, and probably knew well the science of black holes
of our time.

Best

Sergei