(urth) Wolfe's brilliance or my denseness?

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon May 23 10:11:17 PDT 2011

--- On Mon, 5/23/11, Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie> wrote:
I think Wolfe would say that most of his puzzles have explicit solutions with adequate clues, but that is a difficult thing to arrange.  It should be noted that the solution of any detective story involves (as Sherlock Holmes noted) eliminating the impossible to reveal the unlikely but true solution.  Readers who embrace too carelessly the impossible may therefore find themselves thinking that Wolfe is extraordinally ambiguous, whereas readers who dismiss too easily the unlikely may find them lacking in solutions.
well put! Having an engineering background may help in this process of sorting the impossible from the merely unlikely.