(urth) Wolfe's brilliance or my denseness?

Jason H beet31425 at gmail.com
Sun May 22 22:35:12 PDT 2011

I might have a different take on Wolfe's difficulties. He does have identity
puzzles, yes. (In the Wizard-Knight, a less obvious one is: Who killed the
Giant King? The answer is strongly hinted, so it's not really that
debatable, but it's never explicitly stated.)

But I don't think the identity puzzles are the real reason why Wolfe is
difficult. I think he's difficult because he writes so obliquely about
puzzling things, like space travel with mirrors, and 20th-century people
trapped in Urth's Botanic Gardens, and Miles-as-Jonas. There is a sense of
wondrous revelation that you, as a reader, almost but don't quite get, and I
think that wonder is what Wolfe is really aiming at, and dealing with the
ambiguities and uncertainties of these partially-explained wonders makes
reading Wolfe hard and tricky. (And frustrating. And great!)

These, for me, are the real "puzzles" of Wolfe, and not the logistical
identity questions. I don't have much interest in mapping out Severian's
family tree (other than hints of the grandmother and the mother). In fact,
I've always thought the identity puzzles are either obvious by the end of
the book, or, honestly, non-existent and totally unsupported by the text.
Wolfe is smart and clever, but I don't think the way he shows his cleverness
is by leaving elaborate clues at that level of misdirection. At the level of
tower-as-rocket, yes. But more elaborate and obscured than that, I've never
seen evidence for. It just doesn't strike me as the kind of thing he's
interested in (based on reading interviews and Castle of the Otter).

Caveat: I'm relatively new to Wolfe, having only read the Wizard-Knight and
the Book of the New Sun (I haven't even read Urth yet).

But does anyone agree with me? :)

And does anyone know if Wolfe has ever voiced any opinion on the kind of
exegesis found e.g. in Robert Borski's book? I'd be very curious!

-Jason