(urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Sat May 21 16:37:15 PDT 2011

> From: Sergei Soloviev <Sergei.Soloviev at irit.fr>

> I noticed (already at Nabokov's list) that people have a tendency to  identify
> as much things as possible, with slightest hint as a proof. I don't  think
> that there is enough evidence that 17 megatherians and the beasts  living in
>the depths
> are the same creatures. To me, it seems curious that the  number 17 could
> replace other "magic numbers" (3, 7, 12... ) of our times.  Maybe this was
> the intention of Wolfe - to show that even this may evolve.  Look how much
> places etc. are like "Seven...", "Three..." nowadays. They are  not identical!

Other possibilities for 17 (in addition to the typical, or minimum, number for
the Politburo):

A tribute to /Illuminatus!/  Incidentally, that book contains another Great
Beast, who Gerry Quinn has mentioned: Aleister Crowley.

Or when Wolfe needed an arbitrary number, naturally he picked 17.  So did my my
Mathematical Logic professor in about 1982.  Finally someone asked him why, and
he explained.

First of all, it's obvious that numbers greater than about twenty are too big to
be arbitrary.  Second, odd numbers are clearly more arbitrary than even ones.
One is too singular.  Three is the number of the Trinity, so it's not
arbitrary.  Five is the number of fingers on the human hand and consequently the
basis of our number system.  Seven and eleven are naturals in craps.  Nine is
three squared.  Thirteen is an unlucky number and the number of the original
American colonies.  Fifteen is a multiple of both three and five.  And nineteen
is really too close to twenty.

I seem to remember having the feeling I'd heard that before, so it could have
been folklore that Wolfe encountered somewhere.

Jerry Friedman