(urth) the atmosphere on the bridge

Jason H beet31425 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 00:40:04 PDT 2011

I'm confused about the atmosphere on the bridge that Severian crosses at the
very beginning of his exile (Shadow chapter XIV).

Previously he had been walking on the Water Way, and I get the impression
there are few people about. He says he no longer appeared a torturer "in the
eyes of the few who passed me"; also, he was able to hear the song from a
ship, carried by the wind, from a league away.

But when he steps on the bridge, the scene is suddenly crowded: there are
carriages, there are vendors crying out, and people "thronging" the walkway.
When he stops to talk to the guard, he is suddenly surrounded by a hundred
people. All of this in the dead of the night.

Does this make sense? Why would the bridge be so crowded, but the walkway on
one side of the river be practically deserted? Aren't the throngs of people
*crossing* the bridge?

It's not a very important point, I'll grant. But I think that one of the
things that makes Wolfe special is that he tends to think through these
things carefully beforehand. His scenes feel real because he's taken the
time to make sure there are no internal contradictions. I'm sure he
drastically changed the atmosphere on purpose, but I can't make the scene
work in my mind, because I can't visualize it as really happening. Any
thoughts on this minor point would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Jason