(urth) Ultan's grammar quip

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sat May 14 05:37:54 PDT 2011

Certainly Ultan would be a grammar nazi, and certainly the placement of
"mostly" is ambiguous. But does all this address Ultan's joke?

How do these strike you in terms of Ultan's completion of Severian's
sentence:

1. Most of the people Palaemon teaches are apprentices, but not grammar.
2. Most of what Palaemon does is teach, but not grammar.
3. Most of the teaching is done by Palaemon, but not grammar.

#1 doesn't work at all. #2 and #3 are marginal at best.