(urth) Ultan's grammar quip

Jason H beet31425 at gmail.com
Fri May 13 13:23:10 PDT 2011

James,

Good ear, and I think I now agree with you as to what Sev meant. But I
wouldn't say "the placement of 'mostly' is ambiguous".  If we want to be
really strict, there are right and wrong placements, depending on the
meaning of the sentence.

Here are three possible meanings:

1. Most of the people Palaemon teaches are apprentices.
2. Most of what Palaemon does is teach.
3. Most of the teaching is done by Palaemon.

I still think that to a strict grammarian like Ultan, Sev's statement is
only correct if he means (1). (Which he doesn't, hence the error.)

If Sev had meant (2) (as I originally thought), he should have said "Master
Palaemon mostly teaches us apprentices."

If Sev had meant (3) (which, I agree with James, is what he really does
mean), he should have said something like "Mostly Master Palaemon teaches us
apprentices." (Although I guess "Master Palaelmon mostly teaches..." works
here too.)

Is this splitting hairs in the most absurd way? Of course! I'm just a mortal
trying to get the Master Librarian's little joke.

-Jason