(urth) Ultan's grammar quip

Jason H beet31425 at gmail.com
Fri May 13 11:33:08 PDT 2011

I agree that Severian's grammatical error occurs in "Master Palaemon teaches
us apprentices, mostly", but I have a different take.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the "us apprentices", grammatically or
stylistically. People often misuse "us" vs. "we" in this setting (as James
says), so our suspicions here are raised, but Severian's use is correct. So
why does Ultan imply that he didn't learn grammar?

I think that the problem is the placement of "mostly" (although for a
different reason from what David says). It needs to be adjacent to the word
it modifies. The correct statement is "Master Palaemon mostly teaches us
apprentices." That is, the main thing that Palaemon does is teach: he
"mostly teaches". In contrast, "teaches us apprentices, mostly" really means
that he teaches different kinds of people, and most of them are apprentices
(but e.g. there might be some journeymen that he also teaches). I don't
think this is what Severian means.

Adverb placement is a common but subtle issue. It's the different between
saying "John eats only sushi" (correct), and "John only eats sushi"
(commonly used, but wrong: it implies that John does nothing but eat; he
doesn't sleep, or work, etc.).

To me, this little "grammar puzzle" Wolfe sets up is more interesting than
speculating on whether Severian's great-aunt might actually be  Baldander's
cousin. But I realize I might be in the minority here. :)

-Jason