(urth) Ultan's grammar quip

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri May 13 07:23:23 PDT 2011

For the same reason, I always thought the problem was with "us
apprentices". But this is really a style issue rather than a grammatical
one. Perhaps it was a pet-peeve of style guide writers when Wolfe went
to college. The problem is that it uses two direct objects (which could
be argued to be a grammatical error, I suppose). Thus, it is cumbersome
and confusing for the reason David gave. So, it is for clarity's sake,
rather than ignorance, that people tend to replace the "us" with "we"
which is technically incorrect. One should avoid the pattern entirely.
If "us" needs to be qualified and the speaker needs to clarify his
membership to "us", there are lots of ways to speak and write the
thought more clearly.