(urth) what??

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 00:33:33 PST 2011

On 3/8/2011 7:39 PM, Jane Delawney wrote:

> Despite this GW gives us strong, independent female characters who are
> obviously up against it in their world but who survive and pursue their
> goals none the less: Agia of course; and Dorcas, a real tough cookie who
> despite looking like a teenage girl and despite her internal disarray none
> the less makes her way back from Thrax to Nessus unmolested in time (we are
> led to assume) to be reunited with her son.

Yes, I'm shocked there's not more commentary on Wolfe's *many*
sympathetically and admiringly painted strong female characters of a wide
variety, rather than worrying over misogyny.  (Nettle, Maytera Mint, Maytera
Marble, Captain Chris's lover in Pirate Freedom [can't remember her name,
misogynist that I am!] could all be added to the list).

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 2:39 AM, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
 wrote:

> And of course there are those who believe Wolfe is a right-winger, when he
> is plainly just an American Catholic of his times. Such people used to be
> considered "liberal," at least in the old sense of the word---no different
> from anyone else.

Glad you can see political shades - some people are so binary about it.
 Anyway, if a passionate left-winger like China Mieville can love Wolfe even
with what he takes to be Wolfe's 'conservatism', then I think everyone else
should be able to remain open minded and appreciate Wolfe as an artist too.
 It's not like Wolfe is some neo-Nazi fascist - yeesh!  Surely Catholic
Wolfe writing almost nothing but tales about 'pagans', sympathetically and
intelligently drawn, gets compassion in a pluralistic world far more than
his ungenerous readers accusing him of being a crusty reactionary.

DOJP