(urth) Mystery of Ascia

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jan 21 20:14:18 PST 2011

On 1/21/2011 7:34 PM, Lee Berman wrote:
>> The mechanism of shutting off is completely irrelevant. If a gene is shut off over many generations
>> it is because another gene has changed, or been lost, or gained.
>
> This is an outdated understanding of genetics and organismal development. Expressed traits are now
> understood to be a function of GRNs (gene regulatory networks). A constellation of genes work in
> concert and there are what might be seen as genetic on/off switches.

Who are you and what have you done with the real Lee Berman?!

Seriously guys, despite Lee's fast and loose style in association of
literature with mythology, everything Les says about biological fact in
this post agress with my understanding of the subject as of the
exhaustive consultations I arranged with multiple authorities including
two working experimental researchers in the genetic engineering field
and an editor of several of the field's professional journals on the
occasion of GURPS BIO-TECH about four years back.

And perhaps more remarkable, Lee's comments on Chinese parenting agree
with lots and lots of passages in the autobiographical fiction of Amy
Tan and the autobiography of Wen Ho Lee, two prominent Chinese
Americans. (Wen Ho is also a fellow Ag, who emigrated and went to grad
school at Texas A&M about a decade after Wolfe.)

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >